Saturday, January 28, 2012

Christi Smith & Jon Singleton


SHARE THE LOVE CONTEST

Bride to be: Christi Smith
Groom to be: Jon Singleton

Wedding date: April 12, 2012

Christi writes:
“It sounds cliche' but it's true: Jon and I were each other's first loves and will be each other's last.

We met in elementary school and fell in love in the sixth grade. We were inseparable for two years and then I moved away. In the time before Internet and Facebook and e-mail and text messages (or "The Dark Ages," according to my kids), it wasn't so easy to stay in touch with your puppy love and we had to work hard at it. We wrote letters, long-hand, and mailed them -- via the post office!!! -- to each other; we called long distance and only talked for ten minutes so we didn't make our parents made with huge bills; and we spent a few fleeting moments together over the next several years when I was able to make it back to my home town to visit family. Those memories are the foundation of our life together.

Sadly, we lost touch, grew up, got married (to other people), had kids, moved on. But we never forgot one another. Luckily for us, the Internet did get invented and e-mail connected people who were miles and worlds apart in mere seconds rather than the days and weeks of regular mail. One fateful day, I typed Jon's mom's name into the oracle we all know as Google and got a hit, a hit that included an e-mail address. I contacted her and told her who I was, she passed that information along to her son, and well, the rest is history.

We've been reunited as friends for almost eight years and we've been together, in love, since May of 2009. Although it was always a foregone conclusion that we would get married one day, we never got around to making it official, calling it an engagement, liking and putting a ring on it, if you will. We've been busy, you know, working, raising our respective children, creating a home, living our life together. Then, two days after Christmas, tragedy touched our lives directly when the father of my two older children unexpectedly died, leaving my son and daughter heartbroken and the rest of us looking at our lives and realizing that we might not always have tomorrow to do the things which are important to us, to sanctify love, to honor commitments, to revisit the promises of childhood and make them the reality of our lives.

On New Year's Eve 2011, standing in our driveway, our family sleeping inside the house, my first and only true love wrapped his arms around me and began an unrehearsed preamble about exquisite plans and beautiful backdrops, perfect rings and sunny destinations, and how none of those things were coming together quickly enough for him, and with that, he asked me to be his wife and share the rest of our lives together. I paused for a moment, not even realizing that that's where he was going when he'd began to speak and needing a moment to catch up, and when it finally dawned on me what had just happened, I said the only thing I could in that moment: Of course I will marry you.

Being engaged is a whole new experience from simply living together and being a family. We've not yet decided how we will celebrate our impending nuptials or where, but we know it won't be a long engagement: Life is too short and we've already been in love for 25 years.”

53 comments:

Julie E. Hedges said...

Congratulations Christi & Jon! What an inspirational story! Good luck in the contst!!

Robin Oakley Halliday said...

I just adore Christi, and am so glad she found the man again that made her heart sing all those years ago. Good luck in the contest, I SO hope you all win!!

honeybee said...

As the afore mentioned mother of the groom, I can attest this all to be true. What a wonderful love story... it still brings tears of joy to my eyes. Good luck, hope we win...

nicbeast said...

That's a great story! Good luck.

unhingedhips said...

Aw!

Kathryn said...

Adorable! Good luck!

FrazzledApril said...

Great Story! Love you guys both so much <3

saraclaire said...

I hope you win! I've always loved this story! :3

Christine said...

What a great story!

Teena Johnson said...

That's an amazing story. It's funny where life takes us. To find your first love by chance, and to find that he is still the love of your life. I think it was meant to be. I wish you a life time of love and happiness.

Debbi Lytle said...

Beautiful story, it brings tears to my eyes. We love you both and wish nothing but happiness for both of you and your children! Good luck with the contest!

Kate F said...

What a wonderful story!

Tami said...

Congratulations Christi and Jon! We hope you have many more years of happiness together.

Jenny said...

So sweet! Good luck!

Toni said...

I've heard this story before and this still made me tear up.

felicity said...

This is the cutest thing ever. I love it!!!! <3 Congrats.

Jessica Horder said...

What an amazing story! <3

kat jackson said...

I love this story :) one of the best I think

Keely said...

Such a great story!

Bird Cook said...

What a wonderful story! I hope you win!

Liramay said...

Love you guys! Many congratulations on your engagement!

sk-j said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Olzewski said...

A wonderful story! Joy and peace on your life as husband and wife!

Jade said...

Lovely story!

Teresa said...

Awww. Some things are just meant to be.

bellestarr said...

i love how wonderfully christi talks about jon. they are clearly meant to be together. thanks for being in love, it makes the world a better place.

This Beth said...

Christi and Jon reminded me that true love does exist and it is out there. I'm so happy for you two!

sk-j said...

Congratulations! I'm not usually such a sap when it comes to engagements and weddings - but I am a hopeless romantic and actually got chills (twice!) reading your story.

Christina said...

Super story! Best of luck!

EZoolander said...

Congratulations you guys! You guys are the best! :)

Robyn said...

Your first love will be your last and best love. . . That is amazing!! Congratulations!

Mac said...

Wonderful story! I hope you guys win! <3 Thank you so much for sharing.

Beth said...

How cute! Destiny will have it's way in your life and in the end it will be the final say. You were meant to be together! Love you!!

Damien said...

Awe! Congratulations!

JenTrip said...

Beautiful story! Best of luck to you guys :)

Jessica said...

Such a sweet story! Congrats to the both of you!

Flluffernutter said...

What a wonderful story!!

Mermie said...

You deserve to win. What a beautiful story...
xo

LibraryGirl said...

Congratulations on your engagement!

LittleBirdy said...

Love this story!!

CantSleepKate said...

Sweet as a Daisy!

Karen said...

That's a beautiful love story. Congratulations!

Olerica said...

I'm all for finding true love. Best wishes on your upcomming!

Jennifer said...

Fantastic story! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

saraclaire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Burns Photography said...

What a beautiful story! Congratulations, and all the best to you and your family!

WorkInProgress said...

Love the story. Good luck!

Amy said...

Congratulations Christi and Jon on your engagement and upcoming wedding!

Mrs. Lisa said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck and congratulations. !

jessica king said...

Congrats to you both

Debbi Lytle said...

So happy for you!!

Celeste said...

What a beautiful story! Congratulations and best wishes!!